A21 widening gets the go-ahead
By Shams_KSC | Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 12:36
THE long-awaited A21 widening has been given the go-ahead, the Government announced today.
Roads minister Mike Penning has approved development work on six major road schemes, with the A21 dualling project between Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells at the top of the list.
It is a victory for the Kent and Sussex Courier's A21 For 2016 campaign which has been pressing for the much-needed project to be approved.
Construction work could begin by the next spending review period after 2015.
Mr Penning, who had already approved 20 road schemes, said: "Today, I am confirming development work will be advanced on a further six schemes around the country.
"This means they will be in a good position to be selected for start of works in the early years of the next spending review period."
The announcement came after Kent County Council leader Paul Carter and Tunbridge Wells MP Greg Clark met with Mr Penning this morning to discuss the future of the scheme.
A public inquiry will need to be held before construction work can begin.
Mr Clark said: "It's being prioritised, it's the only one of those schemes that has been given permission for the public inquiry. I'm delighted."
See Friday's Courier for full story and reaction.